Connected Learning

Jarrod Lamshed

By

Moving on…

Today was a strange day.

Among the usual ups and downs of a school day I told my class that this would be my last year at Hackham East Primary School. Yesterday I got the official call that I have won a position as a Senior Leader at Woodend Primary School. This is an exciting opportunity to take on a new challenge in an area that I am passionate about. Part of my new role is to help establish a connected learning environment. My job will be to help  build a culture of connected learning among staff and to introduce new  learning technologies and pedagogies to around 700 students across the school. It is a challenge that I’m looking forward to and one that I feel is the right ‘next step’ for me.

Telling my students that I would be leaving at the end of the year was a hard thing to do. My year 6 students had assumed that they would continue in my class for year 7 and I know that they felt at least some sense of being ‘left behind’. It’s not a feeling that I liked, but I know that there is never an ‘ideal’ time to make this type of move. After some questions and discussion, by the end of the day we were back to business as usual and I am looking forward to the rest of our busy year ahead with a great bunch of boys.

My time at Hackham East has been fantastic. It has been the place that I have learned everything I know about being a teacher. I have been lucky enough to work with a great team of staff and students that have allowed my to take risks in my teaching and to introduce programs that I felt were important.

One of these programs is our school’s single sex program. I flagged the idea for this program along with Rebecca Hepworth, another teacher at our school and it has been by far the highlight of my teaching life. This program has given me the opportunity to work with some fantastic young men and build relationships with them and their families that I wouldn’t have done in a ‘normal’ classroom. I have had the chance to teach boys in ways that suit their learning and a chance to challenge stereotypes and gender roles. I feel lucky to have had this opportunity and I will miss it very much.

I am looking forward to the rest of my year and am grateful for the opportunities that I have been given.

6 Responses to Moving on…

1. Bob Thiele says:

You have (and are still!) contributed so much to Hackham East Primary in so many ways, Jarrod – single sex, digital connected learning, choir, Kapa Haka, Community Circles… I have watched you grow from student teacher to Senior Leader. You will leave an enormous hole in our school community but will add so much to Woodend. Congratulations – richly deserved.

2. Melissa Mulholland says:

Congratulations on your new position. This move marks a great loss to Hackham East Primary School. Many families will be sad to see you go but as you’ve mentioned, at least you have time to spend with your boys to help them get used to this news. Students reactions clearly reflect the impact you’ve had on them in your time at Hackham East. You will certainly be missed. Good luck in your new role.

3. Rhoni McFarlane says:

Wow Jarrod, what exciting news! This opportunity is no doubt a result of the dedication you have to the development of your teaching and learning. Whilst you will obviously be missed by the Hackham East community and leaving will surely involve a mixture of sadness and anticipation, you should be joyful of your success and cherish this time. Next year will be the start of a challenge to use and build upon your experience and expertise with a new community. No doubt you will spend the next term and a half soaking up the happy ending of this chapter in your life before a new one begins. Congrats!

4. George Couros says:

Dude…you are going to be awesome. Seriously. Perfect position! Although kids will miss you at your school, that will happen anywhere and everywhere. You are going to continue to influence so many with your dedication to kids and your vision for the future. Congratulations my friend!

5. Vicki Newton says:

Great news Jarrod! Thanks for sharing your learning journeys in your blog & with the SA teaching community in person. Look forward to following your new venture.

6. Barb Beare says:

I too have watched you grow & develop your skills from a student teacher to the amazinly gifted educator that you are today. You will leave a huge void in our school and I’m sure many boys, past, present and future, would be feeling a sense of loss and disappointment, but you were always destined for greater things and it was just a matter of time before you would take the next step in your career path, and that time has come. You know you have made the right move. You have outgrown Hackham East, look out Woodend!
    Personally, I will be so sorry to see you go. I consider you as a trusted friend and always enjoyed our days together in leadership. I have the utmost respect for you and wish you every success in what lies ahead. I shall be watching closely and keeping in touch.