Connected Learning

Jarrod Lamshed

By

Focus and Prioritise

I find myself, once again, making an effort to ‘get back on track’ with my blogging. This frustrates me. As I’ve written about many times, I find blogging to be hugely beneficial to my teaching. It provides an outlet to reflect, contemplate, discuss, debrief and even rant on occasion. For long periods of time, I manage to write regular posts and seem to find a flow, but eventually other factors get in the way and I let it be a reason to put the breaks on.

It’s easy to use the excuse of being ‘bogged down’ by the commitments of life. I am busy. In reality though, all of this ‘stuff’ provides me with plenty to be writing about. I am lucky that I am busy doing things I love. My kids are interested in life and this provides us with huge learning opportunities as a family. At work, I am working with a team of people who are enthusiastic, dedicated and innovative as we move toward flexible learning spaces in our unit. Out of school, I have joined the CEGSA committee which will open up some great discussion and professional learning for me.

Not only do all of these commitments provide great writing fodder, but it also works the other way around. To manage these commitments effectively, I need to be reflecting. Reflection allows me to find perspective, clear my thoughts and as ask for the thoughts of my learning network as I navigate my way.

For me blogging is important, and I need to prioritise it. As a commitment to action, my Friday planning time is now my Friday reflection time. As I am doing right now, I will find a quiet corner and write. It is a process I enjoy and it makes me a better teacher.

3 Responses to Focus and Prioritise